In March 2013 the State Government released Everybody’s Business: A Strategic Framework for Implementing Promotion, Prevention and Early Intervention (PPEI) Approaches in Averting Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Use.
Following the release of the Strategic Framework the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services:
- convened two workshops of interested ATOD stakeholders to confirm priority areas of action, and
- assigned the Drug Education Network (DEN) as the lead body to develop an implementation plan and coordinate PPEI activity within the State.
In April 2014 the ATDC convened the first meeting of the Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Sector Promotion, Prevention and Early Intervention (PPEI) Implementation Advisory Group. The principal role of the Advisory Group is to progress the Strategic Framework by guiding the development of a Tasmanian PPEI Implementation Plan.
In late-June 2014 the Department of Health and Human Services funded the appointment of a PPEI Project Officer within the ATDC. The role of the Project Officer is to support the implementation of the Strategic Framework by:
- working closely with the DEN
- developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders
- analysing key issues and trends
- supporting project governance arrangements
- compiling meeting documentation and providing executive support to the Implementation Advisory Group.
In late August 2014, Olivia Mitchell was appointed to the position of PPEI Project Officer. Olivia is contracted to the position for 12 months and will work 3 days a week. Olivia joins the ATDC with a diverse professional background having practiced law for a number of years before working for different agencies within the Department of Justice. Olivia has a strong commitment both professionally and personally to social justice issues and looks forward to working on the implementation of the PPEI Strategic Framework.